BaseMediaURL

Books, movies, television, articles, media. What I consume and thoughts about it.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Addicted To Love

I keep saying I'm going to cancel my cable television service but I don't actually do it. I enjoy Law and Order episodes, especially SVU and I hate to admit it but Criminal Intent has grown on me as well. I shouldn't like Criminal Intent -- there's this stereotypical brilliant male role foiled off a welter-weight female partner that I ought to find a complete turn-off, but somehow the psychological trickery remains compelling.

Though I would think every person ever convicted on that show would have a great appeal on the basis of incompetent counsel. Defense attorneys during interrogation seem present as a mere, and mute, formality.

The argument for my cancelling cable TV service is that it isn't helping. It's a cheap and sad escape from the real work of building a life, finding some activities and friends to do them with. But that's hard. Plopping down, brain tired from a day tending crops at the cube farm, in front of a machine that will shine human voices and a plot -- humans crave stories -- is a lot easier.

Rumour has it that the hardest choices are often the right ones.

Anyway, today I watched Addicted to Love on Starz, another service I keep saying I'm going to cancel and don't actually cancel. I have Starz because of one of those scams where they give it to you "free" for a month and then when you don't cancel you start paying for it every month. I really should cancel it, since usually there's nothing good on it. (Take that, Starz! You can scam me, but you'll have to pay the cost of jabs in my blog!) I even sent Cox a letter in response to their initial email about how they were going to give it to me free for a month, indicating that I wanted it cancelled. No effect. A downside of my great preference for conducting business via the US Postal service rather than picking up a phone. There's just something very attractive about being able to accomplish administrivia asynchronously. And something romantic about the US postal service. Neither rain nor sleet nor snow -- isn't that a lot like what love's supposed to be like?

Addicted to Love was pretty good. I mean, it was pretty freaky as well, the whole idea of voyeurism and interference to that extent. But Meg Ryan is beautiful and the movie had its charm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home